Morgantown, WV 26505
Phone: (304) 284-8500
Fax: (304) 284-8985
A few hours of ADVANCE PREPARATION CAN BE THE KEY TO A SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW so, we recommend that you do the following things before the day of the Interview:
- Use the Internet to research the company, their affiliates, parent companies, key lines of business and products, recent revenue and financial figures, and future development plans, etc. Most recruiters can provide this type of information to you as well.
- Obtain a recent copy of the annual report to review.
- Get to know the background of the interviewer: It will assist in helping you build rapport. Ask the recruiter to tell you about the hiring authority.
- Read the job descriptions and other printed materials regarding the vacant position. Review the organization chart and the company benefits summary. These documents are usually provided by your recruiter prior to the interview.
- Obtain good directions to the site of the interview. Be sure you know the location of the building, the number of the meeting room, where to park, and who to ask for upon your arrival. Plan out the best travel route and estimate the travel time. If staying overnight, know the reservation number at your hotel and directions to the hotel as well. If flying, know flight numbers, and departure times. Your recruiter and the client employer will work together to send you this information in advance.
- Read up on the company's community sponsored programs and charitable donations.
- Know the company's mission and vision statements and give some advance thought to their relevance to you.
- Practice answering some of the more obvious interview questions such as:
Prepare a list of key questions about the job and company to take with you to the interview. Include all key pieces of information you would need to have in order to make a decision on changing jobs. Some key questions could be:
- Tell me about yourself. What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Describe your short and long term career goals.
- Why is this the right job for you?
- Describe your key career accomplishments.
- Why are you considering changing jobs now?
- Describe the reasons for all of your prior job moves.
- Explain how you can make a positive impact in this position.
- Describe your customer service orientation, and Quality Assurance skills.
- Define your leadership style, and how you manage staff.
- What is the most difficult work decision you have had to make, and how did you handle it?
- What has been your largest budget responsibility?
- Discuss the most negative event that has happened to you in your career and how you resolved it.
- Define the style and type of supervisor with whom you would prefer to work.
- Describe your personality type and how your perform under pressure.
- Tell me what the top three immediate priorities would be in this position.
- Why did the last incumbent leave?
- What are the current problems, or challenges in the department?
- What are the company's short-term goals and long term vision?
- What are the staffing numbers like in the department where I will work?
- Can I see my work area or office?
- What type of future career growth would be available if I took this job?